Anonymous asked: What do you guys do when you're in a creative slump? Because I'm in one right now, and I have no clue what to do about it. I mean, I have ideas, and plots, and a bunch of things I could be writing. I /want/ to write. But everything I write comes out really, really bad.
Deidre: I don’t believe that everything you write comes out “really, really bad.” If you have words in your mind and an ability to get them out, no matter how slowly, you can write.
Here is a list of several things you could do to help get over your slump:
- Write based off of writing prompts — sometimes that’s all it takes
- Look back on old work — edit, rewrite, continue
- Write about what you see in your room — and make it vivid!
- Write about your most recent trip to the store — don’t forget to include all of those weird people reading the ingredients of peas
- Just write — don’t worry about what you’re writing or where it’s going
And to be honest, sometimes when you feel like you just can’t write, it’s because you’re being lazy. Remember that thrill you got when you wrote for hours nonstop? Remember how, when you wrote even two words, you would compulsively save just so you didn’t lose your progress? Your writing is important, and by not giving it the due time, you’re only hurting yourself. Go grab yourself a cup of tea, shut yourself in your room (or wherever you feel most comfortable writing), turn on your writing playlist (if you have one) and just give ‘er.
Happy writing. :)
- predator-and-prey likes this
- jwll likes this
- americankurwa likes this
- trickystick likes this
- seagulllikesthewind likes this
- chronic-nostalgia likes this
- slaydy-gaga likes this
- switchbladesugar likes this
- justabunchofrandomness likes this
- hallieincandenza likes this
- lorienscribe likes this
- writerleopardadvice posted this